Thursday, November 20, 2014

Update

RabbitMQ Failover


So as of this post there is still not a fix for to support multiple broker connections within the Sensu puppet module. I submitted an issue via github and was asked if I could take a look at creating a PR to implement this update, but after looking at the module and talking with my coworker for some insight it seems a considerable amount of work would be needed in order to get this fix in place and would more than likely introduce breaking changes within the module. So for right now RabbitMQ is in the same boat as Redis and Sensu and will need to be load balanced if I want failover and high availability. As of right now load balancing these components has taken a back seat, and implementing checks and handlers has become my new focus.

Checks/Handlers

In order to implement checks/handlers I've decided (with guidance from my supervisor) to borrow from Yelp's sensu_handlers github project to create handlers and also use a similar style as Yelp uses in their puppet_monitoring_check project for checks. This will enable me to create a hiera file with team specific information, and define which team the check applies to, which will then be passed to the handler in order to notification routing and event processing. This also will solve, at least in my opinion, the problem that Sensu Core has with not providing contact routing configurations out of the box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment