Wednesday, December 3, 2014

December Update

Checks/Handlers

Finally, after a lot of troubleshooting and falling through some rabbit holes I've been able to get checks and handlers working. There were some problems that arose while using some of the Yelp handler's within my environment. Some of these problems were a result of some Yelp specific code that still existed within the module, and others because of some misconfigurations. With some help I was able to get the checks working to call a handler to send emails for alerts/resolutions. Currently only 5 checks are implemented across the 8 Sensu dev machines, and only one handler has been configured for the environment.

HA Testing

Testing for High Availability within the environment was easy, but there were a few snags I ran into. With both Sensu and Redis Sentinel there were some issues, that I caused because of oversights. Basically what was happening is that I forgot to lock puppet on a few of the boxes so the master would run against the boxes and screw up the firewall and lead to some connection errors. Once I fixed that master election in Sensu and Sentinel failover for Redis were working great.

Moving Forward

Checks/Handlers:
I'd like to get 2 more handlers up and running before presenting this project (Dec. 17th), and also add the sensu client role to a random machine to make sure that client discovery is working and to test the ease at which Sensu can be implemented.
HA:
Get Sensu, Redis, and RabbitMQ load balanced to ensure failover and ease for ease of access for uchiwa dashboard.
Security:
Implement LDAP with uchiwa. From my understanding this is done through LDAP and Apache in front of Uchiwa. Once LDAP and Apache are set up for auth then the auth provided by uchiwa can by turned off. Also I'd like to re-investigate some RabbitMQ specific stuff. There are currently some issues on Github I've been following and need to check the progress on those issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment